If I Were...
If I were in the Roman Catholic world, my beliefs would fall under papal supremacy, which is the belief that the Pope is the supreme authority in the church (barring Jesus Christ). In addition to following the decrees of the Bible, I would also regard what the Pope proclaims in an infallible declaration with the same deference. I would view the Pope as having a direct connection with God, thus his words and mandates as the voice of God to modern man.
![]() |
| Pope Francis |
Why I'm Not...
I believe the Pope does have a direct connection to God...just as all who are saved do. I respect what the Pope has to say...just as I respect all followers of God who have engaged in intense, lifelong study of the Scriptures. I do not view him as the supreme leader of my church, because I do not agree with him on some key points of Christian theology/doctrine...but I have no problem with such a system of church leadership structure, as there are plenty similar examples in the Bible (Moses, David, Paul, Peter, etc.). For the most part, I really have no problem with the office of the Pope.
However, I cannot accept that he can, at will, declare something as the infallible word of God, unless He is directly quoting Scripture. Otherwise, he would be adding to the Scripture, and the Bible itself denies that that is truth.
You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you. ~ Deuteronomy 4:2
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. ~ Revelation 22:18
Every word of God proves true; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words, lest He rebuke you and you be found a liar. ~ Proverbs 30:5-6

No comments:
Post a Comment