![]() |
| They aren't in the world until they cross the property line. |
If I were Buddhist, I would be very focused on the material world. Every time I enter a home goods store, I want more things to decorate my house. A considerable amount of time at home is spent worrying over the finances, trying to accrue rather than lose. Even my relationships with family and friends might be considered the material world, as I am trying to gain the affections of other people, rather than focusing on enlightenment.
![]() |
| More More More! |
If I were Buddhist, happiness would not be achieved from any of the aforementioned pursuits in which I am currently involved. Certain aspects of my life would be encouraged to take priority, however. My search for wisdom should be increased and should influence every decision I make. Sacrifice and service encourages perspective, so I should be giving away much of my possessions, rather than constantly gathering them. Above all, I should be separating myself from the stresses and pulls of the world to meditate, let it go, and align my body and mind with the universe.
![]() |
| Release |
Why I'm Not
Jesus calls us to be in the world, but not of it (John 17:14-19). I am not supposed to hide away, but rather go and create loving relationships with people to show them the Good News of the Gospel. Indeed, I should definitely lessen my focus on the material world, but for the sake of Christ's service and selflessness. The wisdom for which I search is in the Bible. When I meditate, it is not to become one with the universe, but rather to deepen my relationship with my Savior.
But if I were....
My life, at first glance, might be very similar to what it is now. Many of the moral principles are the same. But the reason for these principles are so different. I would let go and be empty.
Instead, I let go, and I am filled.




No comments:
Post a Comment